Monday, February 16, 2009

Troy New York Hospitals on Old Antique Vintage Postcards

Visit Moody's Postcards, your source for vintage, collectible postcards!

Subscribe to Moody's Postcard Blog by Email

Troy New York was formed in 1791, became a village in 1801 and was chartered as a city in 1816. In 1900, the city of Lansinburgh was merged into Troy. Troy had a significant presence in the early American steel industry and was also a manufacturing center for shirts, shirtwaists, collars and cuffs. The iron and steel industry moved to Pennsylvania and other areas and the collar industry slowed and the town began to lose population and prominence. In 1910, the population was over 75,000 but had declined to 49,170 by the year 2000. The first view below is a circa 1910 Souvenir Post Card Company bird's eye view of the new Troy Hospital.

The second view is a 1920s Tichnor postcard which also shows the Troy Hospital. When I first pulled these postcards, I thought they were the same building but after closer examination, I believe they are two different buildings. If I am wrong, someone will let me know and I'll update this post. Both of these postcards are available in my New York listings along with 10,000 additional postcards on my website Moody's Postcards.

CATCH POSTCARD FEVER!! The hobby for all ages.

No comments: