Friday, August 22, 2008

Hutchinson Family Singers Milford New Hampshire

Visit Moody's Postcards, your source for vintage, collectible postcards!

Subscribe to Moody's Postcard Blog by Email

I must admit that until I ran across today's postcard, I had no idea who the Hutchinson Family Singers were. When I went to "DogPile" to research them, I found a wealth of information about an amazing family. I'll just hit a few of the high points in hopes of getting you interested enough to check it out for yourself. John Hutchinson formed the group in 1840 which included his brothers Asa, Jesse and Judson. Jesse soon dropped out but continued to write songs and became the manager and he was replaced by his sister Abby. They sang in close four part harmony about political causes such as abolition, temperance, women's rights and slavery so they were somewhat controversial. They toured much of the Northeast and central US as well as England. Their friends and fans included P.T. Barnum, Charles Dickens, Frederick Douglas, Horace Greeley and Abraham Lincoln who they campaigned for.

The postcard that started this trek is a circa 1905 view of the birthplace of the Hutchinson family of singers home and a picture of John W. Hutchinson. This post card has been sold but I have 10,000 other post cards on my website Moody's Postcards.

No comments: