Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ozark Alabama 1920s Old Antique Vintage Postcard

Visit Moody's Postcards, your source for vintage, collectible postcards!

Subscribe to Moody's Postcard Blog by Email

I have given Mississippi postcards a good run recently so today I am moving over to Alabama. The post card below is a 1920s view of downtown Ozark Alabama which is located in the southeastern corner of Alabama near Dothan. First settled in 1822, it was named Merricks in honor of the first settler John Merrick Sr. It was later changed to Woodshop and then to Ozark in 1855. The population in 1908 was 2,229, around 2,300 in 1930 and had grown to 15,119 by the 2000 census. The 1920s view below of downtown is very typical of many small towns in the south at this time. When I first saw this postcard, I though it was Eufaula Alabama which looks very similar. Small southern towns are very popular postcard subjects and usually difficult to find. This post card can be found in my Alabama listings along with 10,000 additional postcards on my website Moody's Postcards.

CATCH POSTCARD FEVER!! The sunny South awaits.

No comments: