Saturday, December 6, 2008

Old Antique Vintage Postcards of Chester Pennsylvania

Visit Moody's Postcards, your source for vintage, collectible postcards!

Subscribe to Moody's Postcard Blog by Email

Today's topic is a follow on to the last one and covers the Postcard History Series of books published by Arcadia Publishing, the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Please see the previous blog for full information on the company, their outstanding postcard books and where you can find them. I will try to review these as they are published so you should be able to keep up with what is available and I promise some stunning images from each.

Today's book covers the history of Chester Pennsylvania, the first city established in Pennsylvania, and has fantastic postcard images and narrative covering the many mills, shipbuilding industry, businesses, churches and a great collection of postcards on the famous 1908 trolley strike. This is the great way to learn your local history. The book was produced by the Chester Historical Preservation Committee with many of the 200 plus postcards shown from the collection of David Guleke. The first image below shows the launching of the SS Chester Sun in 1917,the first ship built by the Sun Ship Building and Drydock Company.

The second image is a downtown view of Roders newsstand which was originally built as a cigar stand in 1880 called the Lighthouse. It was rebuilt in 1912 after a fire, renovated in 2001 and is still in operation today and nicknamed the "smallest block in America". Now that you have seen 1% of the images, I hope you will be tempted to see the other 99% in the book. Also be sure to check out my Pennsylvania postcard listings along with the 10,000 additional postcards on my website Moody's Postcards.

CATCH POSTCARD FEVER!! Your hometown history awaits.

No comments: